A Recipe for Turmeric Juice: A Powerful Healing Beverage
Turmeric is branded as one of the most powerful healing herbs. Its anti-inflammatory properties are great for bones and joints. It prevents metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
Turmeric is a natural kidney cleanser and a liver detoxifier, and it also speeds up metabolism and helps in weight management. Furthermore, it heals and helps reduce conditions of depression, arthritis, psoriasis, damaged skin, and more.
Because of this, turmeric is ubiquitous in Ayurveda and in Chinese Medicine.
– Turmeric, 5 – 7 inches
– Tamarind, 5 – 7 inches
– 2 lemons
– raw honey
You will also need a blender, a strainer, a bowl and a mason jar(s).
1. Peel the turmeric. Don’t worry when your fingers turn yellow – a natural dish soap will get it out. If you stain the cutting board, slather on dish soap and rub it in. Soak it for 5 minutes or longer, and then scrub with water and sponge. The turmeric stain will disappear!
2. Crack and open the tamarind. Make sure you get all the inner roots off, we don’t need them for this recipe.
3. Fill a big pot with water, put the peeled turmeric in and boil it for at least 20 minutes or until the water becomes a marigold color.
4. While the turmeric water is boiling, get a pan, put the peeled tamarind in it and pour one inch of water. Mix the fruit and the water with a wooden utensil until it melts and dissolves into a jam like texture. Add water if it looks a bit dry.
By now, the seeds should be coming up. When the texture looks soft, turn the heat off and let it cool down.
5. Now, pour a little bit of cold water to lower the temperature in the turmeric water and pour it into the blender. By now, the root has become softer and more flavorsome, and it is ready to be blended.
6. Pour the tamarind mixture into a strainer that is placed on top of a small bowl to catch the tamarind. Swish the jam in the strainer with a wooden utensil– we only need the soft bits of the fruit, without the seeds and seed peels.
7. Pour the tamarind from the strainer in the blender with the turmeric water. Blend it again.
8. Now squeeze the lemons into the blender. Blend it. Your juice is now ready. Pour it into the mason jar(s). Add honey to taste, close with a lid, and shake it up to mix.
9. You can store it in a fridge up to 3-4 days and drink it daily!